Sunday, January 6, 2008

Rethinking Some Things, Part 2

Continuing my thoughts from my previous post:

FAMILY MATTERS
I'd like to "tweak" some things within our family, mainly just to help establish and re-inforce some good habits for my children. I also need to re-arrange some things so that I can give my husband more of my full attention when he is home. He certainly deserves it.
As it stands right now, my husband gets up at 5am on weekdays, and leaves the house by 5:30 or so. He has no interest in eating that early, so I make him something for breakfast the night before~something he can take to work with him, like oatmeal in a Tupperware bowl, or toaster pastries, something like that. I also make him a lunch every day.
Anyway, he leaves the house at 5:30am, and we don't see him until about 2:30pm. This is just a "visit". He comes home from his full time job, spends a few minutes with us, grabs a snack, and sometimes checks his email or his fantasy football team, then he heads out to his part time job, where he must be by 3:15. He isn't home for the night until 7:30.

Usually, when he stops by in the afternoons, he plays with the kids for a few minutes, but I'm usually busy doing things. I need to plan a "break" during that time, so that I can spend a few minutes talking with him, or join in whatever he and the children are doing.

His schedule is another reason that the kids bedtime isn't until 10pm. I try to have dinner ready as soon as he gets home. I know 7:30 is late for some people to be eating dinner, but having dinner together is very important to our family. Letting the kids stay up until 10 gives them some time with Daddy in the evenings, which is SO important. So, I"m not planning any changes there.

HOMESCHOOLING MATTERS
There are just a couple of things I want to change about our schooling routine. First, both my girls need more work on grammar and spelling. The main thing though, is that I want to "carve out" a definite time each day to work with each child individually on math, reading, writing, and grammar, while we continue to do Bible, Science, History, and Read Alouds together.
I've been contemplating outside lessons and activities for the children. We went through a season last Spring and Summer during which we were involved with a LOT of stuff, and it just became TOO much. Our family time all but disappeared, and it wasn't long before we were all miserable. I do NOT want to go there again, so now we are SUPER picky about committing to lessons and activities. I think that for now, the problem has pretty much taken care of itself. My oldest DD is involved in a play at the local community theater that will keep her busy through the first of March. My middle DD has not expressed any interest lately in any outside activities, and my son is content to just plain PLAY OUTSIDE. So, we're not looking for any activities right now, although I confess that if I could find a convenient, affordable science class to which I could send all 3 kids, I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat! :) Science is the only subject that, given the choice, I would NOT teach!

So, those are some things I"m mulling over right now. Whatever 2008 brings, I will be, without a doubt,
Blessed Beyond Measure
Vicki

No comments: