Friday, January 11, 2008

I Just Don't Want To Go There

Yesterday, I overheard a political discussion among 4 people~people who I believe were 2 married couples. I do not know these folks personally. I was at our local community theater waiting for my daughter's rehearsal to end, and quite frankly, I was more interested in the book I had brought along than in the conversation these folks were having~at least at first.

Then, I noticed that the tone of the conversation changed from friendly chatter to short remarks made in a snappish tone. In another minute or two, the reason became obvious. The 2 couples were discussing the candidates in the current presidential race.

You must understand, I wasn't actually TRYING to listen to this conversation. But, since we were all in the room together, I couldn't help hearing it. I was AMAZED at how quickly and dramatically the tone of the conversation changed when one gentleman stated that he and his wife were supporting a particular candidate, and asked the other other gentleman how they felt about that same candidate. Obviously, there was a difference of opinion! :)

This is not the first time I've witnessed a pleasant conversation becoming unpleasant at the mention of politics. At one time, I worked at a place where just about EVERYONE loved to discuss their political views. They also loved to discuss wich translation of the Bible they read, but that is another matter. Anyway, working there was like spending 8 hours a day in a war zone.
Probably because of that experience, I now don't discuss my political views with anyone outside my family. It's not that I'm "ashamed" of the candidate that I support by any means. I just choose not to discuss it because it opens doors I'd rather not walk through.

I sat yesterday evening listening to this conversation, and the thing that jumped out at me, aside from the QUICK change in the tone, was that the two men were arguing with each other, saying things like "If X becomes president, then he's going to do this, this and this, and it will be awful!" To which the other gentleman said "That's better than what will happen if Y becomes president!"

No one knows what will happen except God. The person who becomes our next president will be the person that God places in that position. There is no such thing as a perfect candidate. I don't believe that there is one single candidate with whom I would agree on EVERY point.

So, if that's the case, where do I cast my vote? Does my vote matter?

I believe the answer is yes, my vote absolutely DOES matter. I believe that voting is not only a right, but a responsibility given to each American.

I believe I also have a responsibility as a christian to look at each candidate as closely as possible, and to see if what they say and do measures up against Scripture. None will measure up perfectly, but chances are that one will come closer than the others. That person will have my vote.

WHOEVER next occupies the White House will have my prayers.

In His Love,
Vicki

No comments: