Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Growing Pains~the Spiritual Kind

I mentioned in a post from a couple of days ago that we had been experiencing some trouble~financial, and with a particular family situation.

I"m happy to report that I feel a lot better about things today. Nothing is "fixed" as of yet, but I can see some things going on that are encouraging to me. I see myself and my husband growing spiritually, becoming more mature in our walk with Christ.

On the financial front, my husband told me yesterday that he plans to give up a certain leisure time activity that he enjoys. He is going to be taking on a second job, so he won't have much time to pursue the hobby for a while anyway, so he has decided to sell the equipment he uses for this hobby. No one asked him to do this, he has done it on his own.

A while back when we were in a financial "tight spot" someone suggested that he sell this stuff, and his reasoning at that time was "but I work really hard, and I DESERVE to indulge in my hobby after work". Well, that may be true, but he deserves financial peace and stability too,. and he has grown enough to come to that conclusion on his own.

I've done some growing of my own. God has changed my heart, and changed how I feel about.....of all things.....cooking. I have NEVER liked cooking! I have often WANTED to like it, and WISHED that I DID like it, but I've never liked it.
But, if Roger is willing to work 2 jobs, and to give up a hobby he enjoys, then I need to do my part too. So, this week when I made our grocery list, I cut out most of the "convenience" items and instead bought the ingredients to make things myself, from (gasp!) recipes!!! This means that I am going to have to invest a little more time in menu planning, and I'm going to have to spend a little more time in the kitchen doing actual ( gasp again!) COOKING!! LOL!

And, as shocked as I am to say this, I am GLAD to do it! Working a job outside the home to bring in an additional income is not an option for me right now, so I am willing, and honestly GLAD to be able to contribute in this way. I've been asking the Lord to show me how to actively do something to help our financial situation, and now He has. He has shown me that it's time for me to grow up and get cookin'! LOL!

The other situation, the family situation, I am still unsure about. I'm not even sure that my dh sees the situation as a problem at all. For sure, he doesn't see it as a big problem the way I do. More prayer is in order for that situation.

God in His mercy though, has shown me that He is doing a work in dh and in me. He is guiding us in the financial situation, and He can guide us in the family situation as well. Oh, how thankful I am to know that!
Blessings,
Vicki

3 comments:

Karen said...

I hear you on menu planning! Just this week I joined the Menu Plan Monday blog meme and found some recipes that look good by visiting other participants. So far, I've cooked every night this week - dinner is in the crockpot right now, as a matter of fact. Good luck to you!

Susan said...

You can do this!! (cheering you on) ;o)

Anonymous said...

Vicki,
You have a GREAT husband to want to go out and get a 2nd job for your family.
I am learning to cook more and more from scratch. It pays off when the kids say, "Mom is this yummy!!"