Wednesday, April 11, 2007

For Cryin' Out Loud!!!!!

What were you doing when you were 11?

Let me see. If I remember correctly, at age 11 I was in the 5th grade. Elementary School. We still had recess, played dodge ball and jumped rope. I distinctly remember our teacher, Mrs. Wofford, reading aloud to us every day. I remember she read several of Beverly Cleary's "Ramona" books to us, as well as some mysteries~Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew, maybe?

I had a best friend named Tammy, and we loved spending the night at each others houses. We both had "Gerber Baby" dolls, and we loved to try different outfits on them and play with them. We also played softball in my yard.

One thing we did NOT spend a lot of time thinking about was BOYS!! Take a look around on CBS.com and you will see a news story there about 5th graders being arrested for having sex IN the classroom WITH other elementary aged students, and NO adults present!!!!! EXCUSE ME??!! The article states that the class was 'inadvertantly" left alone for about 15 minutes.

Incidentally, I am not at all a fan of CBS news. I read the story there because I followed a link that led me there. You could probably find coverage of the same story on foxnews.com which I much prefer.

Anyway, WHAT is going on with these kids? I had NO idea about sex at the age of 11, and it is my opinion that NO child SHOULD have any clue about sex at the age of 11!!! Good grief!!!

There was another chilling element to this news article. The Sheriff in the county where this took place stated that the parents of these children would not be charged in any way because "while the kids are at school, the parents relinquish all control to the administration". He went on to say that "all we can do is look into what goes on in these children's homes". Well, gee, you THINK?!

If this doesn't give parents a valid reason to homeschool their children, then nothing ever will. For Crying Out Loud!!!!
Blessings,
Vicki

1 comment:

Susan said...

Such a sad, sad story. :o(