Sunday, August 12, 2007

Back to Bethel

I have had conversation with no less than 6 people over the last 3 or 4 weeks, all of whom mentioned that either they or someone they knew of was attempting to "get back" to a place in their lives in which they were much closer to the Lord.

There is certainly nothing wrong with that. In fact, we have an example of that in Scripture. Jacob has a time of being very close to the Lord while he is at Bethel, and later on in Scripture, he asks the Lord to let him return to Bethel.

I found myself asking the Lord for the very same thing. You know, sometimes, I believe that the Lord lets us have things that we ask Him for just so He can show us that we didn't really want that thing as much as we thought we did.

I thought I wanted a bigger church, one with more activities and more programs for us, and for our kids to participate in. The Lord gave us that. We enjoyed it very much, for a time. Then, we began to be so wrapped up in all the 'stuff" going on at church that the actual worship services became merely an interruption of all of our activities. Oh, how sad that is, and how ashamed I am of myself for having felt that way!

I believe with all my heart that the Lord led us to the church that we just left a few weeks ago. I believe He had several purposes for our being there. One was to allow us a period of "rest" from doing all the things that we did in our small church. Another was for us to be a testimony to some folks, and an encouragement to some folks. My Mom and I directed the VBS in that church just before we left, and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God meant for us to do that. In the end of our time there, God allowed us to stand up and to "contend for the faith" when no one else would. That is truly an honor.

But, I also think that a part of God's purpose was to show us that we didn't really want or need a large "program packed" church as much as we thought we did.

We have spent the last 3 weeks in churches that had nice facilities, but not "luxurious" ones. They had VERY friendly people, and wonderful Sunday School and Children's Church for my kids, but not a program to keep them busy every second of Sunday morning, sunday night, and wednesday night. And you know what? It has been FANTASTIC!

We are truly WORSHIPPING GOD again, and learning about HIM, and isn't that what church is SUPPOSED to be about?

What's more, my husband attended this church many years ago, before we met. His time at this church was a time in his life during which he was very close to the Lord. There aren't many people still there now who knew him then, but there are a few. Another dear friend of ours has been visiting there with us, and she shared with me this morning that the altar they have in the church now is the VERY altar at which she got saved, and how very blessed she has been to be there again.

Incidentally, please keep this matter in your prayers. This church is currently without a pastor, and they are seriously considering my Dad in that position. We want the Lord's will to be done, so please pray for that with us.

I truly feel like the Lord is leading us "back to Bethel", and I am SO thankful!

I don't know where your 'bethel" is in your life, but if you feel yourself drifting away from a close walk with the Lord, you might consider paying it a visit very soon. You won't regret it.
Vicki

No comments: