Monday, March 5, 2007

How many times does He have to tell me?

It has become my habit to read from the Old Testament, the New Testament, Proverbs, and Psalms each day. Something I read recently really spoke to me. For this to make sense, you must understand that I believe that the Bible is the holy, inspired word of God. I believe it is His heart, that He graciously chose to share with His children.

When my Dad was our pastor, he was constantly encouraging us to be more vocal and visible in our praise and worship. I have a hard time doing that, but I could see his point.

When we began attending the church of which we are now members, that pastor also greatly encouraged vocal and visible praise and worship. Still, I have resisted, without fully understanding why.

I am still not sure WHY I am so reluctant to speak aloud with vocal praise during a service, or offer a spontaneous testimony, or shout. I was raised in churches where these things were encouraged and practiced, and I am always blessed when others worship and praise in this way.

I don't think it matters so much anymore WHY I have been reluctant to be more demonstrative in my praise and worship. The FACT is this:
In Psalm 107:8, 15, 21, AND 31 God inspired the Psalmist David to repeat the same verse 4 times! Now, I may be a little hard headed sometimes, but usually when I'm told something 4 times, I 'get it', especially when it comes straight from God! :) These verses say this:

Oh, that men would praise the Lord for his goodness and for his wonderful works to the children of men!

The Lord tells us, FOUR times in just ONE chapter, that HE wants us to praise Him for His goodness and his wonderful works!! We are to share with others how His goodness and His wonderful works have played out in our lives!

If you look at these verses, you'll notice the abscence of 'conditions'. We are not told to praise Him when things are good, when we are happy, when we are feeling close to Him, when we are feeling especially 'spiritual'. We are simply commanded to praise Him to the children of men. At all times. In good times, and bad, when we are happy, when we are sad, when we are stressed, when we are upset, when we are confused, when we are angry, when we are thrilled, etc.

Our physical and emotional state DO NOT change the fact that He is worthy of our praise. The fact that we are told to praise Him " to the children of men" indicates that this praise is to be open and shown before others.

The Lord spoke this 4 times in just one chapter. I think He means it, don't you?

Blessings,
Vicki

1 comment:

Christina said...

Amen to that, Vicki! Wonderful post!
How did I miss that you were blogging at blogspot, too? I will put you on my friend's list. I always enjoy reading your blog. It is just taking me a while to catch up since everyone has moved around. lol