Thursday, October 11, 2007

A Daily Rate

This is something that I've shared before, but I"m not sure that I"ve shared it here. If so, it was a long time ago. The Lord has brought it to my mind this morning, so I"ll share it again. This is a poem by Grace Livingston Hill from her novel A Daily Rate. The poem is based on 2 Kings 25:30 which says:

And his allowance was a continual allowance given him of the king, a daily rate for every day, all the days of his life.

Charge not thyself with the weight of a year
Child of the Master, faithful and dear.
Choose not the cross for the coming week,
For that is more than He bids thee seek.
Bend not thine arm for tomorrow's load
Thou mayest leave that to thy Gracious God.
For daily, only, He says to thee,
Take up thy cross and follow Me.

I LOVE this, and pull it out a LOT to remind myself that I am a child of the King, and that I have an allowance from Him~a daily rate of not only physical provision, but mercy and grace enough for EACH day, EVERY day of my life. I often think that I need tomorrow's grace today, but I am finally learning that today's grace is enough, because the grace for tomorrow will be there when I need it, and not one moment before.

I am reminded of the chorus of an old song that I've heard in church for years~

There is grace for every need
Grace for you, grace for me
Keeping true, keeping free
Precious saving grace indeed
Flowing from the throne above
Grace to cover all my sin,
Grace to all who believe, oh this grace receive!
Full forgiveness ALL may win,
Yes there's grace in the Lord's perfect love!

In His Love,
Vicki

No comments: