Monday, October 1, 2007

Spoon feeding and Spiritual truths

It seems that I've been hearing a lot lately about spiritual gifts, and the importance of discovering what your particular spiritual gift is. There are many christian websites that have quizzes that (they say) will tell you what your spiritual gift is.

I think those quizzes can be good indicators, but they are exactly that~INDICATORS. I think that the only way to truly discover your spiritual gift is to study the gifts in the Scripture, and spend much time in prayer asking the Lord, through His Holy Spirit, to reveal to you what your spiritual gift is.

I saw a preacher on television last week tell his congregation that they should put their name on a sign up list in the church lobby and he would then set up a time to meet with them, test them, and tell them what their spiritual gift is.

I'm sorry to disagree, but I simply don't believe that a pastor can "spoon feed" a thing like that to a member of his church. Certainly, he can share Scriptures with people, and perhaps even ask them questions that will give him INDICATIONS as to what their spiritual gift might be, but I believe it is misleading, and incorrect, for any pastor, preacher, or teacher, to tell another person that they can say with certainty "X IS your spiritual gift.

A pastor can spoon feed the "milk" of the Word to his flock, but discovering your spiritual gift is the "meat" of the Word, and to eat the meat, you have to be able to chew it for yourself. It can't be spoon fed to you.

On a similar but slightly different train of throught, I think that far too many pastors today are spoon feeding their congregations. But, that is fodder for my next post.
Blessings,
Vicki

No comments: