Friday, October 12, 2007

Are You Serious?!

I can't stand it. If you read that sentence and you know me at all, then you know that a rant is on it's way, so press on at your own risk, dear reader.

My family and I are currently visiting various churches. We actually began this "church search" in January of 2006. We had a brief "sojourn" in one church, but for the most part, we've been "wandering" for almost 2 years.

Since we've been at this for so long, I have almost made a hobby out of not only visiting churches, but also watching church services on television, listening to church radio broadcasts, and visiting church websites.

Today, however, I was NOT doing any of those things!! I am in the throes of baseball playoff fever, and I was feeding my frenzy by listening to ESPN radio. Imagine my surprise when I heard the following:

My name is XXXX and I'd like to invite you and your family to join us at XYZ Church. We are a sports oriented church with a Christian emphasis. We have softball for adults, and for boys and girls beginning at age 16. We have AWANA Olympics for the younger children. For more information, please contact me, XXXX, at this number......

Oh, come ON! This is a CHURCH advertisement for goodness sake!! Where's the location? Where are the worship times? Where is ANY mention of God WHATSOEVER??!!

Oh, I can just see it now. Where do you go to church? Oh, I go to XYZ Church. It's the SPORTS ORIENTED church with the christian emphasis.
Yeah. That's the testimony I want about my church.

For the love of chocolate covered cherries, you have GOT to be kidding me.

Vicki

No comments: