Monday, September 10, 2007

Brangging, The Travel Channel, and Hannah Montana

Okay, most of my IRL friends who read this blog all ready know this, but I simply cannot stop myself from posting it here.

My daughter Rachel, who is 9 years old and about 6 weeks into the 4th grade, recently completed her first standardized testing. These are her grade equivalent scores. For example, a score of 5.3 means 5th grade, 3rd month. Below are Rachel's scores:

Word Analysis: No grade equivalent listed
Vocabulary: 8.2
Comprehension: 5.1
Spelling: 2.9
Language Mechanics: Post High School
Language Expression: Post High School
Mathematics Computation: 5.0
Math Concepts: Post High School
Science: Post High School
Social Studies: Post High School

I actually started NOT to post these scores here because I feel like I'm bragging, and I feel badly about that. BUT, I also have family who don't live near us who like to read my blog, and Rachel deserves to have them know about this too, just like our "local" relatives and friends know about it.

Now, changing the subject~I just LOVE the Travel Channel!! My girls are studying Italy and Panama for our homeschool group's Around the World Day. So far, we have seen episodes of Samantha's Brown's show Great Hotels that featured 2 citites in Italy, as well as 2 or 3 episodes of her show Passport to Europe that have featured cities in Italy. This weekend, we just happened to catch her newest show Passport to Latin America, and gues where she was? Panama!!! VERY cool!

I STILL remember, from my childhood, an episode of Mr Roger's Neighborhood in which he visited a crayon factory. I've always wanted my kids, who LOVE crayons, to see that. This morning, I checked the Travel Channel's tv schedule to see what the topic was going to be for today's episode of Made in America, hosted by John Ratzenberger. I am so glad I checked, because we got to watch as he visited the factories where they make 2 things that my kids love~Crayola Crayons and Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup!!
Like I said, I LOVE the Travel Channel!

And now, a word about Hannah Montana. We are VERY selective in not only the amount of tv that our kids watch, but also which shows they are permitted to see. I have in fact been accused of being TOO picky about what our kids watch. Anyway, one program we DO allow is Hannah Montana. My husband and I watch this show with our kids, and we like that the characters are always decently dressed( at least we've never seen anything indecent) and while the kids do make some "smart" remarks, which we always discuss with the kids, we generally like the relationship portrayed between Miley/ Hannah and her Dad.
I was "won over" by this show durning one particular episode in which Miley and her friends had plans to go somewhere. Miley's Dad saw her report card and told her that if her science grade did not improve, the trip was off. When Miley's friends accused her Dad of being unfair, instead of joining with her friends in complaining about her Dad as the characters on many shows would have done, Miley told her friends that it was NOT her Dad's fault, that they had a "deal", that school had to come first. I really liked that.

So, now, my sisters and I have lost our minds. My 9 and 7yo daughters are Hannah Montana fans, as is my 6yo neice. My 15yo nephew and 14yo neice are fans too, though they don't like to adimit it.
There is going to be a Hannah Montana concert in November at an arena that is about 5 minutes away from my sister's house. So, we are going to "take the plunge" and take all 5 kids that want to go. My husband enjoys the television show, but he and my 5yo son couldn't care less about the concert, so they aren't going with us. Yes, I"m going to spend an evening in the midst of a multitude of screaming, hyped up teens and tweens. Heaven help me! LOL But I KNOW my girls are going to LOVE it! So what if I've lost my mind?! Sanity is over-rated anyway!
Vicki

No comments: