Friday, November 9, 2007

The Love of God

There is a beautiful song that says that the Love of God is greater far than tongue or pen can ever tell. That is so VERY true. My thoughts today seem to be focused on the many (seemingly) small ways in which God SHOWS His love to each of us.

Certainly, the greatest manifestation of God's love toward us is in the gift of salvation through the blood of His Son, Jesus Christ. The fact that we have air to breathe, good health, food, shelter, and clothing are all manifestations of the immense and immeasurable love of God.

But today, I'm talking about those "little" things~those special things that might not be a manifestation of love to anyone else but you.

A gentle breeze when you're burning up while out working in your garden
The lullaby of a gentle rain shower when you really need a good night's sleep
An email or a phone call from a friend you haven't heard from in a while
Something unexpected that makes you laugh

I"m sure you have your own list of personal things that manifest God's love to you.

I once had a dear christian friend, an older lady, tell me that she believes that God loves her through her husband. I had often thanked the Lord for the gift He gave me in my husband, but I'd never really thought of it as God loving me through my dh. The more I thought about it, the more I agreed with what she said. I saw again how true it is earlier today.

Around noon today, I was really upset. Both my girls were giving me a really snotty attitude about a certain issue, and I just got sick of it. I repeated to them ( again) what the rule is in our house about this issue, and that they could abide by the rule, or deal with the consequence, it was their choice. They both were demonstrating some EXTREME ungratefulness, and I told them so. That hurt their feelings, and they both started to cry.

I told them that I was sorry that I had hurt their feelings, but that maybe hurt feelings was what they needed to keep them from repeating this behavior.

I felt like I had done the right thing, but I still felt AWFUL, like the meanest Mom in the world. Not really having anyone else I felt like I could whine to right then, I sent the girls into another room and called my dh. He listened to me pour out the whole story without saying a word. When I had finally gotten it all out, his only comment was "I love you, baby".

I was in tears, a thing that RARELY happens to me.

My wonderful husband reassured me that I had indeed done and said the right things, that the girls MUST be taught to keep their attitudes in check, and told me again how much he loved me. At that moment, I gained a deeper understanding of what my friend meant when she talked about how God loves her through her husband.

My hubby, by the way, ended this conversation by asking "So, what are we having for dinner?" He's a wonderful man, and a great husband and father, but still, he is SUCH a GUY! LOL!
Blessings,
Vicki

No comments: