Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Living on the Edge??

I mentioned in my last post that someone whose opinion I used to seek on spiritual matters had expressed to me a belief that I feel is in direct opposition to Scripture. This person did not 'commit a sin', in that he did not go out and perform the act himself. He simply expressed a belief that a particular action was 'okay' when Scripture clearly states that it is NOT.

Tonight, I learned some things that strongly indicate that ANOTHER fellow Christian has fallen into sin~blatant, clearly anti-Scriptural actions. My husband made the comment that we cannot condem this person because we are 'just as capable of falling just as far as he has fallen'.

After thinking about it, I"m not sure I agree with that statement. Yes, we all sin, each and every day, and yes, I believe that sin is sin no matter what the particular offending act might be. But, are we ALL just as capable of falling into the pit of sin as others? I"m not so sure.

I picture it this way. We, as Christians, are walking along on top of a mountain. At the edge of the mountain is a huge drop off. If we step off that edge, we will fall far, far, down into the deep pit of sin. But, we do not HAVE to walk on the edge!!

When we spend time daily in God's Word, we take a few steps back from the edge. When we spend time daily in prayer, we take a few steps back from the edge. When we resist temptation, we step back from the edge. When we choose to fill our minds with what is good, holy and pure instead of meaningless prattle, we step back from the edge of that cliff.

So yes, we all 'live on that edge' at times, and we all ocassionally lose our footing and stumble into sin, but if we reach up, we can grab onto our Master's hand and regain our footing. We don't HAVE to walk on the edge of that cliff, and we don't HAVE to fall off the edge.

God's Word promises us that with every temptation there will also be a way of escape, so that we may be able to bear it.

I want to do what I can to stay away from the edge of the cliff. I don't want to live on the edge!!
Blessings,
Vicki

1 comment:

Karen said...

I read this several days ago and didn't comment then, but it's stayed on my mind. I think you make some good points about living on the edge. How often do my sins come about as a direct result of me *not* being where I should be?? Walking along the edge really does increase the likelihood of falling off.