Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Nostalgia....and bragging

It has been a nostalgic couple of days for me. I've blogged here some of my thoughts and feelings about the passing of Dr Roberson, who founded the high school I attended, as well as a university.

The university operates a radio station. I confess, I haven't regularly listened to this station for years, but the last couple of days I haven't been able to resist listening to other preachers share their memories of Dr Roberson, as well as some recordings of Dr Roberson's messages, and messages by some of the preachers Dr Roberson loved to listen to, like Dr Lester Roloff. The sermons and music I"ve heard over the last couple of days are STRAIGHT out of the church services of my early childhood.

It was nice to listen to that, but then sort of shocking to realize how far removed I am from that now. I haven't been to a church in years that uses the kind of style of music that was used at the church we attended in my early childhood. Not that either style of music is bad,it's just SO different. And, preachers who preach like the men I"ve been listening too for the last couple of days are VERY rare now.

It left me thinking that I must be getting old! LOL! Then, just as I had that thought, my daughter shouted from the other room, where the children were watching some Mickey Mouse cartoons~"Mom, what IS this thing?"

I went to see what they were looking at, only to find that my children had NO idea what the "thing" was that Mickey Mouse was using~imagine how old I felt when I saw that it was a ROTARY DIAL TELEPHONE and my kids had NO clue what "that thing"( as they kept calling it) was!!! MAN, I feel so old!! LOL!

Now, on to the bragging part~I was told last Sunday that at next Sunday's AWANA award ceremony, our daughter Alex is being named Awana Clubber of the Year!!! VERY cool!!

Blessings,
Vicki

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL on the kids not knowing what a rotary telephone was/is!! We've had that same discussion when I've made the mistake of referring to a typewriter! ;-)

Congrats to Alex!! What an awesome achievement!

~Kris

Mama Fish said...

Vicki we had the same experience with our kids and the rotary phone. I took them into an antique store and we saw one. I told them Grandma and Grandpa used to have a phone like that. Both tried to use it, as it was such a novelty to them...then one asked "where's the redial....?" LOL!