Monday, May 9, 2011

They Have No Wine

I heard some teaching from Beth Moore recenly, via the "Life Today with James and Betty Robison" television show. It stuck with me, but I wasn't really sure why~wich is to say that I wasn't sure how to apply it to myself, exactly. Then, I took a look back at my last blog post. After I recovered from my surprise at how long it's been since I posted anything on the blog, I re-read my last post.

In that post, I wrote about what Jesus can do with the little that we have, if we just bring it to Him. Then, the significance of what I heard Beth Moore speak about clicked for me. She spoke from John 2:1-10. This portion of Scripture tells the story of the wedding at Cana, during wich Jesus performed His first recorded miracle.
Beth placed particular emphasis on Mary's words to her Son. " They have no more wine".

Not "there's only a little wine left" but "They have NO MORE wine."

So, this thought came to me. I know that even when I only have a little, I can take it to Jesus and He can make it more than enough. But what about those times when there is just NO MORE? Not even a little~but really, truly, NO MORE.

I defintely have times of feeling like I have NO MORE, and I know I can't be the only one who feels this way. I think we all have moments when there is just no more~no more money to pay the bills, no more tolerance for aggravation, no more patience for the trials of life, no more love to show toward those around us, no more wisdom to figure anything out, no more energy to expend any effort, no more time to accomplish everything that needs to get done, no more....well, you fill in the blank.

So, what do we do then? Well, we do what Mary did. She went to Jesus, and said "There is no more wine". And what did Jesus do? He created wine where there wasn't any. You see, He's God. He can do that :)

He CAN create more resources, more tolerance, more patience, more love, more energy, more.....you fill in the blank.

Just as Jesus can take the little bit that you have and make it more than enough, he can create something from nothing. We need only to go to Him and say "Lord, there is no more_______. If we give it to Him, trusting Him completely, He will give us more than enough, even where there was no more.
Blessings,
Vicki

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Vicki, I know you don't know me... I got to your blog via confessions of a fraidy cat...this blog couldn't have come at a more timely time in my life...but I have but one question...what does it look like to trust Jesus completely, our family took a step of faith, to bring home the fatherless, our only reserve was financial but we put it in the LORD'S Hands and jumped in...we have experienced financial hardships that are unbelievable since that day...every day has brought a new expense, we've depleted every penny we had saved, not just with adoption expenses which have been enormous but out of the ordinary occurences that seem to keep happening; all of it involving MONEY!! My question is what does it look like to simply trust ... we've sat our kids down and told them God is still good even if we fall flat on our faces, but in all our hearts we can't imagine not being able to see this through, and at the end of all this leaving their sister in Africa, so there it is... my whiny heart laid out bare for everyone to see...my "unbelief" and fear of how things can ever turn around...I know God owns IT ALL, I know He can but I also know He doesn't always answer the way we want Him to...I don't want to feel this way, I want to say beyond doubt I KNOW He will come through BUT.....even as I'm typing this I feel as though my heart is ripping out of my body...I hate feeling this way...please pray for me...
Lisa F.

Vicki said...

Hi Lisa!
I think, for us, what it looks like to completely trust the Lord with our finances is to go to Him with our needs, but to also ask for His grace to accept that we may have to do without some things. I KNOW God can and will provide our needs, and sometimes even our wants. Sometimes, He does this in miraculous ways. When I was a child, my parents operated a homeless shelter for women and children. We depended on donations to do that, and money was always tight. There came a say when we had enough food for breakfast and lunch, but nothing for dinner, wich was scheduled for 6pm. We couldn't do anything but pray. At 2:30 that afternoon, we got a call from a local hotel, wishing to donate all the food they had to us so that they could remodel their kitchen.
Since we got married, my husband and i have experienced hitting "rock bottom" financially. We have learned that God may not always provide our wants, but He will provide our needs. It may not be in the way or the timing that we want, but our kids have never missed a meal, or been without medicine or medical attention when they needed it. We have taught our kids to take all their needs and wants to the Lord, but to also ask for His grace for those times when God says "no" or "wait". We believe that God has a reason for those times, even if we don't know what the reason is. We just believe that God's plan is always better than ours, and that HE always works for our good, and never our harm. Believing that with certainty makes waiting for the Lord to move a little easier.
I think I'm rambling now. :) Feel free to look me up on Facebook (Vicki Shipman Templeton) or email me at lsutigerfan30736@yahoo.com if you'd like.
Blessings,
Vicki