Thursday, September 11, 2008

Goats, Horses, and Donkeys, Oh My!!

I was going through old post on my blog, from before the time I started importing them to Facebook, and I thought I'd repost a few of my favorites. I'm reposting this one for my friend John, who loves my goat stories, but wanted some new material~so, here ya go, John, I"ll throw in some donkeys and horses for you :)

When I was 17 or 18 years old and moved with my parents from the city to the small town in wich we now live, I used to say that it felt like living in Mayberry, like the Andy Griffith Show. Lately, it feels more like Green Acres! Or the Beverly Hillbillies!!

Yesterday morning, around 11 or so, I am talking to a friend on the phone. I actually had to interrupt the conversation to say to my friend "I'm sorry, I"ll have to call you back. I need to call our neighbor around the corner and let him know that HIS DONKEYS ARE IN MY YARD!!

Now, you must understand that growing up a "sophisticated city kid" as I did, I NEVER thought I would EVER be saying to ANYONE "I'll have to call you back, there are donkeys in my yard!!"

This was around 11am. Around noon, the 2 donkeys wandered up our neighbor's driveway and disappeared behind thier house. I don't know WHAT was back there, but we didn't see those donkeys again until about 3:30 or so. Then, there they were again, across the road in our neighbor's driveway.

At this point, Fred, our pet goat, is having an absolute FIT, either because of the donkeys wandering around, or maybe because my kids were out in the yard keeping watch to see what would happen, and proceeded to yell and carry on every time the donkey's wandered to a new spot.

These donkeys belong to a man who lives behind us, but he keeps them on his grandfather's property, wich is right behind my parents house. When my kids are at my parents, or at my sister's hosue (sis lives next door to Mom and Dad) they would often go the fence and pet the donkeys, feed them, etc,. so they feel rather attatched to these donkeys, and my 8yo was scared that one of them was going to get in the road and get hit. So, I spend my afternoon dealing with excitable, hyped up children, and an agitated goat. Then, around 4 or so, the REAL entertainment began when several guys showed up to try to wrangle these donkeys and get them back where they belong.

I swear, it was just like an episode of the old Gree Acres tv show! I haven't laughed so hard in a long time!! There were 2 men, a woman, and at one point, a teen aged boy all out there with ropes, trying to corral these donkeys. I think they also had a bag of carrots, with wich to entice the donkey's to come to them.

I was trying to make dinner, so I couldn't just stand there and watch the whole thing. But, I watched when I could, through the picture window in my living room. At one point, I look out the window and I see a man leading one of the donkeys by a rope, so I'm thinking, "Good, they finally caught one of them!" The next time I look out the window, that same man is once again chasing that SAME donkey up the road!! ROFLOL!! The next time I look out, there are NO people in my sight, but in the neighbors driveway stand the 2 donkey's AND A HORSE!! LOL!! I STILL have no clue where that horse came from!!LOL!

When I left my house at 6:25 or so to go to a Bible study that meets at my sister's house, I think one donkey was still loose. When the Bible study ended about 8:30 or so, my nephew reported that both donkeys were FINALLY back inside the fence where they belong.

I tell you, I"m still not sure if I live in Mayberrry or Hooterville ( or whatever the name of the town on Green Acres is) but whatever you call this place, it's certainly never dull!!!

Btw, if you find yourself entertained by this story, take a look through my blog archives for "Our First Goat Adventure" and I"m sure you'll laugh yourself silly!
Vicki

3 comments:

Nekey said...

oh... ROFLOL! Thanks for the chuckle!!!

Unknown said...

That is funny! lol Thanks for the laugh!

jeannie said...

Oh my.... thanks for the laugh